Health & Safety Coordinator
Health & Safety Coordinator
Full-Time TERM Position
Flying Dust First Nation HR/OHS Division is seeking a highly motivated and dedicated individual to provide leadership in the area of Health & Safety under the supervision of the Human Resources/Safety Manager. Flying Dust First Nation’s Occupation Health & Safety philosophy is to promote health, safety and well-being of workers and workplaces. We promote occupational health and safety awareness and legislative compliance as well as monitor all safety related functions, including hazard assessments. The Health and Safety Coordinator develops, administers, and implements company-wide occupational safety programs, and serves as the coordinator for the occupational safety programs within all divisions and/or entities. The Health and Safety Coordinator plans, designs, develops, implements, and evaluates departmental occupational safety programs.
Main Job Tasks and Responsibilities
- Responsible for safety orientation, safety training, job site inspections and reporting.
- Maintain awareness of amendments to the Occupational Health & Safety Act (OHSA) and Regulations, and make recommendations/training for their implementation.
- Perform job site safety compliance inspections including hazard analysis, safe work procedures, written reports and recommendations.
- Responsible for monitoring adherence to the company safety program by all Flying Dust First Nation employees and subcontractors.
- Research, plan, organize and conduct training programs/seminars for Flying Dust First Nation supervisors and field employees, with regard to WHMIS, Fall Protection, Orientation, Personal Protection Equipment, CPR/First Aid, industry specific related issues, etc.
- Responsible for contractor Safety Program, including gathering of clearance certificates and insurances.
- Provide guidance to field personnel via safety briefings/tool box talks.
- Provide advice and counsel to management and other employee groups on a broad range of occupational safety issues and decisions.
- Assist with design of safety standards to conform to industry standards and federal, provincial and local regulations.
- Develop and conduct occupational safety training for various workgroups, including evaluation and modification of programs to meet local, provincial, and federal OHSA requirements.
- Direct and review the analysis of accident and injury data, identifying the needs for new or modified occupational safety programs.
- Research occupational safety information to assure the best available methods and equipment are adopted to minimize the hazards in the work place.
- Maintain, update and train staff on Emergency Response Plan, Pandemic Plan and related documents.
- Periodically act as a team leader to special task forces or teams.
- Assist/Lead and coordinate meetings, implementation of OHSA priorities.
- proficiency in MS Office programs
- polite verbal and written communication skills
- professional personal presentation
- show job initiative and reliability
- knowledge/familiarity of First Nations Cultures and Traditions an asset
- organizing and planning and the ability to assist as required for special events
- must have the ability to work under pressure with a high level of stress tolerance, as well as be able to work under minimal supervision, showing good judgment and flexibility
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field, or
- Safety certification training (e.g., CRSP, Workplace Hazardous Materials Information, MSDA) is considered a strong asset.
- Three to five years’ experience in occupational health and safety in an industrial establishment.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of the OHSA and workers’ compensation legislation.
- Must maintain and support confidentiality and privacy limitations.
- Strong organizational and planning skills.
All applicants MUST provide the following requirements:
- Cover Letter of Application, Current up to date resume stating qualifications, and employment history
- Copies of Credentials and (3) Professional references (1) from last/current employer
DEADLINE TO APPLY: July 15th 2020
TO APPLY: Please email or fax your Letter of Application and Current Resume along with any supporting documentation you have available at the time of application.
E: email@example.com ~ F: 306 236 3373